Consulting Services In Software Testing
- You need support in testing software, to improve your testing, or someone to teach your people better ways to test?
- You need an in-house seminar or consulting? Most of the topics in reviewing, software test design and test management.
Seminars about Software Testing
Dates for my public seminars: See table above
Here is a description of my
other testing seminars (WORD document). I teach them
in Norwegian, English or German.
Here is a description of my accredited ISTQB Foundation Seminar. As I am member of the ISTQB Foundation working group, most of the planned changes of the 2018-syllabus are already implemented in my seminars.
With Tilo Linz and Andreas Spillner, I am the author of Software Testing Foundations, a book covering the knowledge you need to pass the ISTQB Certified Testing exam - Foundation level.
ISTQB - Norwegian Testing Board
The International Software Testing Qualifications Board (ISTQB) has defined a curriculum for software testers. Your knowledge about software testing can be certified according to this curriculum. There are three levels, foundation, advanced and expert. There is also a glossary of testing terms.
I member of the Norwegian Testing Board. We are organizing exams in Norway in both Norwegian and English languages.
Norwegian Testing Board is even offering examination for
ISTQB Exams in Norway
If you want to take the exam, please register through the Norwegian Testing Board exam manager. You need to specify your language choice: Norwegian or English as well as the exam level. The exam does not require you to attend a seminar. Any other than ISTQB Foundation Level exams can only be taken in English. You find a form for registration on www.istqb-norge.no. If you want to prepare yourself for the Foundation exam, you may read the "Software Testing Foundations" book, written by two colleagues (Tilo Linz and Andreas Spillner) and me.
Note: I only help organizing exams. As I teach seminars, I have no access to neither exam questions nor the exam room. That task is done by other people of the Norwegian Testing Board. In principle, an exam will be held at least once per half year in any major city in Norway.
Take this trial exam!(Norwegian) (English): If you achieve more than 75% correct results in this exam, you should stand a good change to get certified at the foundation level.
ISTQB seminars I am teaching
I am teaching an accredited ISTQB Foundation Level seminar (3 1/2 days) in Norwegian, and English. I am using 3 1/2 days instead of 2 1/2 days my competitors use, because I want you to learn how to test, not only how to pass the exam! I am also teaching highly successful one day exam preparation sessions, provided you have studied the material before the session. This I only provide on request.
I am also teaching advanced test management and test analyst (test design) seminars according to your requirements.
- ISTQB Web site.
- Norwegian Testing Board Web site.
- Trial exam: If you achieve more than 75% correct in this exam, you should stand a good change to get certified at the foundation level. If you get less than 60%, do not try an exam!
- Trial exam in Norwegian
- Syllabus (Foundation Level). There is a link on that page.
- Syllabus (Advanced level). There is a link on that page.
- Glossary (Norwegian and English) - The 2012-version in English can be found on www.istqb.org.
Til alle som har planer om å ta ISTQB Foundation-eksamen (in Norwegian)
Pensum for ISTQB Foundation dekker 6 hovedkapitler, og eksamen inneholder spørsmål relatert til alle disse områder. ISTQB definerer et testrammeverk med inndelinger og begrep som ikke nødvendigvis er sammenfallende med hva du er vant til fra før fra ditt daglige arbeid. Dersom det i tillegg er flere områder du ikke har vært bort i tidligere, kan det bli for mye ny kunnskap på kurset for å kunne huske alt på eksamen som er på kursets siste dag.
Dvs. du kan ikke nødvendigvis regne med å få nok kunnskap for å bestå eksamen bare ved å gå på et kurs. Jeg anbefaler derfor alle å gjøre følgende forberedelser FØR KURSET:
- Sett deg inn i Foundation syllabus (Engelsk: www.istqb.org, norsk: www.istqb-norge.no - kan hentes på de respektive sidene). Vurder hvilke områder som er nye for deg og les spesielt disse.
- Sett deg inn i ISTQB-terminologien (Engelsk: www.istqb.org, norsk: www.istqb-norge.no - kan lastes ned).
- Les læreboken, og spesielt kapitlene som du har ingen/liten erfaring i fra før. Det anbefales å lære spesielt sakene i kap. 4 i syllabus. Dette kapittel beskriver teknikkene for å finne testeksempler med eksempler. Dette er nytt stoff for mange. Dette kapittel er spesielt viktig for de som ikke har programmeringsbakgrunn! Dersom du aldri har vært testleder, eller du er eneste person i et prosjekt som jobber med testing, er det en fordel hvis du leser gjennom test management-kapittelet i syllabus og lærebok. Legg spesielt merke til rollefordelingen. Gjør du disse forberedelser, har du mye mer utbytte av kurset og du har veldig gode sjanser å bestå eksamen med godt resultat og bli en bedre tester!
More material for downloading ...
- An overview of test design techniques (Logigear Magazine March 2016)
- What a tester should know even at night is an introduction to any testing job. It defines "the little extra" a tester should put into her job.
- A good web page in Norway (in Norwegian): kvalitetsentusiastene.no
- A blog with a lot of useful information about testing: thetesteye.com/blog/
- Norwegian: En evaluering av rimelige verktøy for defect tracking. Denne rapporten evaluerer verktøy ut fra behovene for typiske mindre bedrifter. Noen verktøy er open source, noen er kommersielle. Rapporten er laget som et resultat av MOLAS prosjektet i NAV Hordaland, av dedikerte testere med Aspergers syndrom. Jeg kan formidle kontakt med deltakerne for oppdrag innen software testing.
- An introduction to software test design. It discusses the values of basic systematic test design techniques.
- How to survive as a test manager if you are under severe time and/or budget pressure. This paper has been developing through the last 20 years. It is an update of a keynote presentation I gave at STAR WEST 98 as well as, in updated form, later. It introduces the background for Risk Based Testing. Here is an Excel worksheet to do risk calculation. You may even use another spreadsheet to prioritize testing depending on benefits expected. This is an approach to be used early in projects. I am teaching a one day seminar about risk based testing. Here is a version from 2015 in Logigear Magazine.
- This page summarizes the problems of integrating distributed applications. It is a summary of an STQE Magazine article by Len DiMaggio.
- This presentation summarizes the task of integration testing.
- Internationalization and Localization Risk List
- Acceptance testing guides: A short guide to
acceptance testing of standard packages (in English).
A guide to acceptance testing of any products (in Norwegian). and
What to ask about the testing of your supplier (in Norwegian). All these guides can be used for system testing as well, with a little tailoring.
- This paper gives you ideas of what you do if your specifications are bad or non existing. How to survive "testing in darkness".
- Here is a paper about how you can successfully introduce reviews without a great cost.
- Here is a paper about the question if you can reduce test cost after good reviews practice.
- What to do to test a system if you have bad specifications: A presentation about testing in darkness.
- Here is a description of how I can assess your test process and give advice on how to improve it. Check also out Sogeti's Test Process Improvement Model!
- Template for tracking the test progress (Excel file)
- Templates for test status reports about defects, and test status versus risk (Excel files)
- Template for Master test plan (in English)
- Templates for test plan and test report (in Norwegian)
- Template for collecting review data (Excel file)
- Lots of articles about unit testing and static analysis from IPL
- A Guide to stress testing
- A Guide to volume testing
- Some material about tester motivation, from a Norwegian Computer Society evening speech.
- Tailoring test documentation using the IEEE 829-2008 Standard, from a SPICE 2008 conference speech, updated later.
Special Interest Group in Software Testing
http://norsktestforum.com/ - just register!
In the Norwegian Computer Society.
If you work in the software testing field, the Norwegian Computer Society may be the place to go to, for further links. There are working groups in Oslo, Stavanger/Haugesund, Trondheim and Bergen. Several meetings and seminars are organized every year. We are always on the lookout for people who want to organize or present at a meeting.
Weekend testing: Online tasks for testing where you can really train doing a testing job, and discuss the results.
See <https://www.StickyMinds.com/> under "Books" for Software Testing and Software Quality Engineering's book list.
This is the ISTQB Foundation Level Certificate study book: Tilo Linz, Andreas Spillner and Hans Schaefer, Software Testing Foundations, 4th edition Rocky Nook, 2014. You may order the book directly from me.